If you are a person that wears or has worn nail enhancements (acrylics), I'm sure some time during your visit to the nail salon you've obtained these badges of honor. If you have not, I applaud your manicurist in her/his skill and promotion of healthy nails.
I find it very interesting, when a nail enhancer comes into the spa for the first time to have either a removal of the existing acrylics or a broke nail repaired. In either case, the client has psyched herself up and is prepared for me to rip the enhancements off only to be disappointed (filing on top of the enhancement ONLY, I reduce to 25%; then soak the remaining off and complete the removal with an orange stick and a hand file). In most cases the surprise is what is underneath on the nail bed - RINGS of FIRE!!
Rings of Fire are created when an e-file at high speed is use at an improper slant on the natural nail bed. Typically created while attempting to smooth or redefine acrylic around the cuticle area or any where on the nail bed during a fill-in. Generally resembling a half circle (ring).
To take the conversation further, I like to estimate the number of times they had a fill in and the length of time between the services. Once I've explained how and why I know, the questions start and the instruction in "Health Nails 101" begins. Over the past 2 years, the two most frequent comments I have received is; "... is that the reason why my fingers are sore when their finish" and "... is that the reasons my nails are so weak when I take the acrylic off?" Answer: YES and YES.
Rings of Fire can be eliminated by consistent proper use of an e-file on the natural nail and enhancement and/or by hand filing the enhancement by the manicurist. If your manicurist is causing you undue pain, SPEAK UP and request to be filed by hand. If they refuse (1) check to make sure that they are licensed as a manicurist (2) they've had formal training in using the e-file and if not (3) find a manicurist that will respect the request(s), your nails and health.
The need for speed can be pleasant or harmful. You decide.
Information is EMPOWERING!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment